Each year, the English Department awards teaching assistantships to motivated graduate students who show promise as writing teachers. Assistantships are secured by students who are skilled academic writers and effective communicators.
Teaching assistantships are one-year appointments that provide a small stipend and full tuition-remission. Based on satisfactory performance in teaching duties and graduate coursework (and conditioned on continued funding of teaching assistant lines by the University), teaching assistants may renew their assistantships for a second and (in the case of MFA students) third year. Teaching Assistant Positions for the next academic year are generally posted in MavJobs by the beginning of December with a preference given to students who get their application done before a February deadline. The specific deadline for each year will be part of the job ad.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or related field.
- Admission to the College of Graduate Studies at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Strong English language speaking and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability in academic writing.
- Ability to work harmoniously with undergraduate students, faculty, and other Teaching Assistants.
- Enrollment in a minimum of six (6) graduate credits per semester during assistantship.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
How to Apply
If you are a new graduate student applicant, upload a completed teaching assistantship application package to the same GradCAS system page where you upload program admission materials.
A complete application will include a cover letter detailing your qualifications, a resume, and an academic writing sample (5 to 10 pages). Additionally, you will be prompted to enter the contact information of two references for letters of recommendation.
Continuing students, or students who deferred their admission to a graduate program, should submit the above materials by emailing the Graduate Director.