Jeffrey Buchanan, Professor
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno, 2004
Areas of Interest
- Developing restraint-free interventions for managing behavior problems in persons with dementia
- Investigating the impact of caregiver verbal instructions on the behavior of persons with dementia
- Understanding the impact of Elderspeak on older adults
- Development and evaluation of memory enhancement procedures for persons with mild to moderate dementia
- Practical implications of the Theory of Gerotrancendence
- Psyc455/555 Abnormal Psychology
- Psyc466/566 Psychology of Aging
- Psyc654 Clinical Case Management
- Psyc681 Behavior Therapy
Geitzen, L. J., Lewis, H. & Buchanan, J.A. (2022). Age-related microaggressions: A descriptive study. The Gerontologist. https://doi-org.ezproxy.mnsu.edu/10.1093/geront/gnac158
- Jensen, N., Kinskey, C. & Buchanan, J.A. (2021). The effects of a cognitive training program for older adults: A brief preliminary report. International Journal of Aging Research, 4:86, 1-8. DOI:10.28933/ijoar-2021-07-0706
- Perera, A., Buchanan, J., & Ebel, D. (2020). A millennial looks at aging. The Journal of Creative Aging, 31, 4-9.
- Wagner, S., Buchanan, J.A., Bailey, J., Andresen, F., & Omlie, C. (2020). The use of stimulus preference assessment as part of dementia care: A review of the literature. Clinical Gerontologist, 43(3), 243-255.
Spencer, S.D., Buchanan, J.A., & Masuda, A. (2020). Effects of brief acceptance cognitive reappraisal interventions on experiential avoidance in socially-anxious individuals: A preliminary investigation. Behavior Modification, 44, 841-864.
- Buchanan, J.A., Johnson, E., Kennedy, J., Stypulkowski, K, & Jensen, N. (2019). The effects of a cognitive training program for cognitively impaired older adults: A pilot randomized control trial. International Journal of Aging Research, 2, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.28933/ijoar-2019-03-0705
- Buchanan, J.A., DeJager, B., Garcia, S., Houlihan, D., Sears, C., Fairchild, K., & Sattler, A. (2018). The relationship between instruction specificity and resistiveness to care during activities of daily living in persons with dementia. Clinical Nursing Studies 6(4), 45-52.
- Hindt, A., Morris, J., Sohre, J., & Buchanan, J.A. (2018). The effects of a Montessori-based activity on affect and engagement in persons with dementia. Journal of Aging and Geriatric Medicine, 2(2), 1-4.
- Fast, C. T., Houlihan, D. & Buchanan, J. A. (2018). Developing the family Involvement Questionnaire-Long-Term Care (FIQ-LTC): A measure of family involvement in the lives of residents at long-term care facilities. The Gerontologist. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnx197
- Fisher, J.E. & Buchanan, J.A. (2018). Presentation of preferred stimuli as an intervention for aggression in a person with dementia. Behavior Analysis: Research and Practice, 18(1), 33-40.
- Kinskey, C. & Buchanan, J.A. (2018). Non-pharmacological interventions for aggression in persons with dementia: A 10-year follow-up review of the literature. Clinical Nursing Studies, 6(3), 8-18.