Thank You Dean Matt Loayza
Dr. Matt Loayza has led the college for the past four years
On behalf of everyone in the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences, we want to thank Dr. Matt Loayza for his contributions to and leadership of the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences as interim dean and dean over the past four years. Dr. Loayza served as interim dean from July 2018 to July 2019, and then served as dean beginning July 2019. Throughout his time as dean, he has led, supported, and collaborated on many important programs, projects, and initiatives to advance the mission, vision, and goals of the college.
Some of the work he is most proud of over the past four years include:
- Minnesota State Mankato Scholars Serving Time Program
- The Equitable Classroom Workshop
- Minnesota State University, Mankato Criminal Justice Workgroup
- Third Way Civics Project
- Center for Economic Education
- Securing physical space for the EARTH Systems Laboratory
- New Master of Science in GIS in the Department of Geography
- Criminal Justice Career Academy
- Ongoing partnership with the Minnesota Hip-Hop Coalition on a variety of community events and initiatives
- Creating the SBS Insights series, which highlight faculty work focused on public service and addressing social issues.
Dean Loayza was also the recipient of the President’s Commission on Diversity’s 2020-2021 Diversity Champions Award for his work promoting diversity and inclusion.
Following his time as dean, Dr. Matt Loayza plans to continue work on projects initiated as dean during a one-year reassignment before returning to full-time teaching in the Department of History. Please help us in thanking Dr. Loayza for his leadership over the past four years.