Todd Shanafelt, MFA
- MFA in Visual Arts/Ceramics, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
- BA in Visual Arts & French, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado
Todd Shanafelt has taught at Minnesota State University, Mankato since 2002. He received his MFA from Kansas State University in 2001 and BA degrees in French and Visual Arts at the University of Northern Colorado in 1996. He has had extended studies abroad at the Lycée Jean-Puy in Roanne, France in 1992-93 and Tours, France in 1996.
Shanafelt’s early sculptural ceramic work pulled influences from his immediate home environment – the garage and more specifically, the tools and parts of his father’s trade as auto mechanic and carpenter. Working primarily in the ceramic medium, he continues to explore his interest in collaborating non-traditional materials together with clay in order to create unexpected, complex sculptural objects. Since 2000, his work has been exhibited in numerous group exhibitions throughout the USA and abroad. His work is found in collections at the Musée de la Céramique d’Andenne, Belgium, Kapfenburg Cultural Center, Austria, Centro de Artesania De Aragon, Spain, Museu de la Ceramica de Manises, Spain, Mesa Contemporary Arts, Arizona, USA, Yingge Internatioinal Ceramics Museum, Taiwan and others.
- Sparklers: Mary Johnson, Pocket Toscani, Mariah Laster, Todd Shanafelt, NE Sculpture/Gallery Factory, Minneapolis, MN, 2021
- Exposition Permanente/L’Espace Muséal d’Andenne, Le Phare/Musée de la Ceramique d’Andenne, Andenne,Belgium, 2020
- 20 Años de Premios CERCO, Centro de Artesania de Aragon, Zaragoza, Spain, 2020
- Sin: The 7 Deadlies in Clay, Carleton College, Pearlman Museum, Northfield, MN, 2019
- Hacking Away, Todd Shanafelt & Amy Toscani, St Peter Arts Center, MN, 2019
- Duck, Duck, Grey Duck, Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport, Minneapolis, MN, 2019
- In Black and White: Art Meets Writing, SAA Collective, Springfield, IL, 2018
- Out of the Mold, Carbondale Clay Center, Carbondale, CO, 2018
- CERCO-ARAGON – 15th International Prize of Contemporary Ceramics, Zaragoza, Spain, 2017 XIII International Biennial of Ceramics, Manises, Spain, 2017
- Todd Shanafelt, Monique Wuarin, Simcha Even-Chen - Invitation, Patronat Municipal de Serveis Culturals, El Vendrell, Spain, 2013
- Mednarodni Trienale Keramike, European Cultural and Technological Centre Maribor, Ljublijana, Slovenia, 2012