Bridging University resources and aging-related needs in the Community is the central focus of the Chesley Center on Aging. Our primary means of accomplishing this is through developing and providing training opportunities for geriatric professionals and interested community members.
- ElderWeb has grown to include over 6,000 reviewed links to long term care information, as well as an expanding library of articles and reports, news and events.
- Gerontology Policy Resource List has a local Minnesota focus.
- U.S Administration on Aging (AoA) is a central source for a wide variety of program- and policy-related materials and demographic and other statistical data on the health, economic, and social status of older Americans.
- Older Americans 2006: Key Indicators of Well-Being was published by the Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics.
- Administration On Aging
- Census Bureau
- FirstGov.com a good site to look for all types of government information.
- Maine Bureau of Elder and Adult Services a good example of a state unit on aging page.
- Medicaid information straight from the federal government.
- Medicare Information
- National Institute on Aging
- Social Security Administration
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Minnesota Attorney General Office offers a special section for seniors.
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Minnesota Department of Human Services especially check out aging and health care information.
- Minnesota Government Information and Services provides easy access to government services.
- MinnesotaHelp.info, an online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota identify resources such as human services, information and referral, financial assistance, and other forms of aid and assistance within Minnesota. It is especially rich in resource information for seniors and their caregivers; people with disabilities and their caregivers; parents and families; and low income people.
- Minnesota Hospice Association
- Senior LinkAge Line - is a free telephone information and assistance service which makes it easy for older adults and their families to find community services. Senior LinkAge Line can be reach at 1-800-333-2433
Organizations and Associations
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Society on Aging (ASA)
- Association for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE)
- CAHSA California Association of Homes and Services for the Aging
- Exploritas Includes a listing of Exploritas (also referred to as Elderhostel) programs.
- The Gerontological Society of America
- National Council on the Aging (NCOA)
- National Hispanic Council on Aging
- National Indian Council on Aging
- The Summit Center is dedicated to providing educational, informational, physical, recreational and social activities to older adults in the Mankato, North Mankato area.
- Caregiver Information for Minnesotans
- Family Caregiver Alliance: National Center on Caregiving
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Today's Caregiver Magazine - Information, support and guidance for family and professional caregivers.
Computer Training for Older Adults
- Master Internet Volunteer Program in Minnesota
- Seniornet.org online community and technology trainer for older adults
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- National Fraud Information Center includes special section on fraud against the elderly.
- Quackwatch.com is a guide to health fraud, quackery and intelligent decision making.
Disease and Illness
- Alzheimer's Association of Minnesota
- American Cancer Society has resources, prevention and awareness and volunteer opportunities.
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- Arthritis Foundation contains information on diagnosis, treatments and research.
- National Alzheimer's Association
- National Parkinson's Foundation
Senior Law is a website where senior citizens, their families, attorneys, social workers, and financial planners can access information about elder law, Medicare, Medicaid, estate planning, trusts and the rights of the elderly and disabled.
Exercise, Fitness and Nutrition
- American Senior Fitness Association
- Dietitian.com ask a nutritionist about a multiplicity of topics.
- MealsForYou.com provides recipes by type, ingredient, nutrition content and special dietary need.
- Aging and Death in Folklore is a very interesting site!
Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren
- Informal and Formal Kinship Care. This report presents the results of work pursued by analysts at two separate research institutions in a collaboration designed to describe the population of American children living in kinship care arrangements.
- Alcohol and Aging: This alcohol alert reviews recent research on the extent of alcohol consumption and associated problems among the elderly.
- The Alzheimer Page sponsored by the Washington University Alzheimer's Research Center.
- Chronic and Disabling Conditions data profiles published during the year 2000 by the National Academy on an Aging Society. The series includes: Chronic Conditions, Hearing Loss, Heart Disease, At Risk and Arthritis.
- Health Finder well organized, consumer-focused health and nutrition information.
- Healthtouch - Find information about more than 10,000 prescription and over-the-counter medications..
- The Nun Study home page. The nun study is a longitudinal study of aging and Alzheimer's disease funded by the National Institute on Aging. Participants were members of the School Sisters of Norte Dame religious congregation with the Mankato congregation involved in this study.
Housing, Living Arrangements
AARP Research – Independent Living "Information, research results and policy insights about: housing options, home modification, reverse mortgages, public and personal transportation services, older driver issues and developments, assistive devices for life's challenges, and adult children's perceptions of parents' needs."
- Assisted Living Store provides information for purchasing adaptive equipment for the independent living senior. This site is run by an MSU alumni!
- National Association of Adult Day Services includes national directory, facts about adult day services, and a guide to selecting services in Minnesota.
- Senior Sites a listing of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, retirement communities, and continuing care retirement communities with web pages.
- National Center for Assisted Living
- Aging Services of Minnesota
- Care Providers of Minnesota
- Employee Benefit Research Institute. Pension terminology, Social Security reform, IRAs, 401K plans, retirement confidence survey: Are people saving enough for retirement?
- Pension Research Council, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
Policy Advocacy and Information
Retirement and Older Americans, The Urban Institute. A discussion briefing prepared for the Urban Institute Board of Trustees meeting, May 20, 1998. Other topics on the Urban Institute website include Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and other entitlement programs, health care financing and access, and "The New Federalism," the devolution of responsibility for social programs from the federal government to the states.
APA Division 20, Adult Development and Aging, American Psychological Association's Division 20. This division is dedicated to studying the psychology of adult development and aging.
- Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
Statistics and Data for Aging Research
- A Profile of Older Americans: 2012 Key Facts on the older population, including basic demographic statistics, future growth, marital status, living arrangements, racial/ethnic composition, geographic distribution, housing, employment and health care.
- Center for Demography and Economics of Aging can be found at the Center for Policy Research, Syracuse University.
- Center on Economics and Demography of Aging University of California, Berkeley
- Data Base News in Aging, U.S. Census Bureau, April 2010. DBNA highlights the contents of government-sponsored surveys and products (many funded by NIA) containing statistical information about the older population.
- Federal Administration on Aging. Contains information for caregivers, and the eldercare locator.
- Health and Retirement Study (HRS). Nationally representative longitudinal survey. Asset and Health Dynamics Among the Oldest Old (AHEAD) survey is also found here.
- Michigan Center on the Demography of Aging (MiCDA). The University of Michigan Center on the Demography of Aging is one of eleven centers on aging sponsored by the National Institute on Aging.
- National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging. Funded by the National Institute on Aging, located at the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, University of Michigan. NACDA's mission is to advance research on aging by helping researchers to profit from the under-exploited potential of a broad range of datasets. NACDA acquires and preserves data relevant to gerontological research, processing as needed to promote effective research use, disseminates them to researchers, and facilitates their use. By preserving and making available the U.S.'s largest library of electronic data on aging, NACDA offers opportunities for analysis on major issues of scientific and policy relevance.
- National Bureau of Economic Research
- National Center for Health Statistics includes Longitudinal Study of aging.
- The National Council on the Aging. Also check out NCOA's BenefitsCheckUp site. It can find government programs you didn't know you were eligible for.
- Older Workers, Retirement and Pensions, A Comparative International Chartbook by Kevin Kinsella and Yvonne J. Gist, International Programs Centre, U.S. Census Bureau. Similar reports about aging in other countries are available at The International Programs Center. This site contains many interesting reports on aging under the "Publications" tab.
- Population Center Johns Hopkins University
- RAND Center for the Study of Aging, one of the nation's leading institutions dedicated to behavioral research on the elderly population.
- Roper Center for Public Opinion Research
- Seniors.gov . Excellent, unbiased links to government sources of information.
Careers in Aging
AGHE-Careers in Aging