About the Machine
In the Fall of 2013, the Maverick Machine returned with 30 members as a pep band and we have now grown to include over 180 students annually. Through our growth, we have maintained a focus on our three core values – Family, Pride, and Excellence. We are a band family. Even though we are one of the largest student organizations on campus, it is important to us that each member feels valued. We continue to grow, but will not jeopardize our important family culture. We’re big, but not too big!
The band focuses on excellence in performance through one unique marching production. Each fall the band selects a show that combines elements of various styles of music with technology and cutting-edge marching design elements. Our goal is to entertain our audience and support our Maverick Intercollegiate Athletic programs.
- Michael Thursby, Director
Justin Tollefson, Percussion Instructor
Sarah Thursby, Colorguard Instructor
Brittany Skroch, Colorguard Instructor
- There is NO additional fee to participate in the Machine. Minnesota State Mankato has some of the lowest tuition in the region and we offer scholarships!
- We provide all larger instruments including drums, mallet percussion, tubas, baritones, mellophones, piccolos, and a limited number of other instruments at no charge. Each participating student is provided with a full uniform at the beginning of the semester at no cost.
- Rehearsals: We respect our member’s time by rehearsing only 2-3 times a week and we split our membership for the pep band events.
- Band Camp: Prior to the first week of the fall semester, the Machine has a week of practice.
The Machine is not a traditional band but a contemporary one. Whether you have a lot of or a little marching experience, the Machine includes:
We offer several performance and non-performance opportunities including:
- Instructional positions/teaching experience
- University Intercollegiate Athletic Events (local to national):
- Men’s Football
- Men’s and Women’s Hockey
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball
- Past and future performances include:
- University and community events
- Super Bowl LII festivities in Minneapolis, MN
- Hawaii / Pearl Harbor and Puerto Rico
We are a band family. Even though we are one of the largest student organizations on campus, it is important to us that each member feels valued. We continue to grow, but will not jeopardize our important family culture. We’re big, but not too big!
Are you ready to Join the Machine?